"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls...but the only thing that worried me was the ether. There was nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Thursday, February 18, 2010

the velvet underground

(Kiki de Montparnasse Ingenue soft lace bra, Topshop Vintage Inspired Lace Bralet, "Crucifix Rosary 25"" Necklace", Sam Edelman 'Zoe' Ankle Boot, Browns Leather zip leggings, Net-a-porter Stretch silk-satin shorts, Misselfridge Black Lace Shoulder Jacket)

There is something so mesmerizingly appealing about the 60s. It’s a bunch of small things really, that make this decade so unique and so unrepeatable. The social revolutions (Summer of Love in San Francisco), counterculture, creative expression and drug rampages shook this decade to the point where Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner recalled “if you can remember anything about the sixties, then you weren’t really there” (you’ve gotta love that quote). I think this look more or less sums up the sixties – lace, leather, zippers, lingerie, LEATHER (in case you missed it the first time or needed reinforcement). Part of me strongly wishes to blow my life savings on every item above and wear it all out for one crazy night in Los Angeles or New York. But on second thought I’d better not do that for the sake of my future education and my dignity. Rampaging around some wild city in those leather zippered pants to the sounds of White Rabbit is a future aspiration of mine though…one day. For now I’ll settle for just ogling the computer screen and pretending that I was alive 50 years ago to live it all. Goddamn my birth year.

No comments:

Post a Comment