"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls...but the only thing that worried me was the ether. There was nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Genius 'Round the World Stands Hand in Hand, and One Shock of Recognition Runs the Whole Circle 'Round"


If you haven't already detected my love for the novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson is a god) - note the subtitle of this blog - you should know that reading it this past December changed my life. Not kidding. Vacationing in Florida with my family over christmas, I needed a little something to escape to. Thought it might as well be the story of two middle aged "journalists" on a drug rampage across Las Vegas. The music references are also incredibly great. I'm not someone who usually freaks out over a passage in a book, but when I read the one below I had to reread it a good seven hundred times to fully figure it out. Thompson does an insane job of getting across what life was like in the sixties (truly a genius way of putting it). The random looking bits in a larger font are the parts that really hit me. If this is what it was really like...hell. Somebody better invent a goddamn time machine during my lifetime.


"My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights - or very early mornings - whenI left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hor wearing L.L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket...booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always staling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change)...but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that...
There was madness in any direction, at any hour. I not accross the Bay, then up the Golde Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda...you could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - or side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment