"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls...but the only thing that worried me was the ether. There was nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Saturday, March 27, 2010

uppers, downers, laughers and screamers

(1: Times Square's undying lights and irrepressible energy, 2: me in a groovy fur coat, 3: cathedral on 5th avenue, 4: my important notice aka stolen poster from Rock of Ages seen that night on Broadway, 5: arlington cemetary, 6: club diner, New Jersey)

Over the March Break, my family and I did a very risky thing. We took a 10 day cross-America roadtrip (hitting NYC, Washington DC, Atlantic City and Connecticuit – visiting cousins), driving time totaling some awfully high number that I don’t want to think about. The truth is that both my parents pride themselves on being “great drivers” but the reality is that my dad is a speed maniac/ignorer of the law and my mom is a rage driver (I packed two sets of headphones to drown out any unpleasant sounds). Luckily Atlantic City and they’re outstanding population of trashy bars made it worth it though. Personally I kind of enjoy driving through random, unfamiliar towns and states, but I knew that embarking on a trip where I’d be physically stuck in a car with both my parents and brother would require some good distractions. So leading up to this adventure, I thought about what would distract me most from the yelling, screaming, sometimes very frustrating, odd assortment of characters that compose my family. So after much thought and a recommendation from a friend, I picked up the book Requiem for a Dream by Helbert Selby Jr. This was the best goddamn distraction I could have picked. More on that later.

Anyways, I got mad into photography on this trip. So much so that every time we passed a new building (in NYC you can imagine that this would be a frequent thing) I felt the need to hustle out my camera and take about seventy pictures. I couldn't even walk continuously because every time I saw something remotely brtilliant I'd have to stop right there on the goddamn spot. One day I'm going to grab my best friends, rent some broken-down, hideous car and just drive. We're going to drive through a bunch of more sleepy towns and big cities and coastal settlements and just take thousands and thousands of blurry pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment