"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers...also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls...but the only thing that worried me was the ether. There was nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

to tattoo, or not to tattoo?






With my sixteenth birthday approaching (and my champagne birthday...does no one consider these anymore??) and my recklessness clearly expanding, I think I want to get a tattoo. Nothing tacky, nothing stupid or meaningless; just something that will push me a little further along every time I look at it. There are two definite tattoos I want to get in my lifetime: a vinyl record (small, symbolic of music which is the love of my life and unique) and a quote on my arm. I have a few little lists floating around in half-finished documents on my disorganized laptop of possible quotes, and some pictures I like of other people's permanent messages. So far I really like "We are riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave", which is from one of the most wild and influencial novels ever (for me) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - this quote is simply amazing. In the novel it actually reads "We were riding the crest blah blah blah", but I thought it would be more appropriate with my apparent youth and all to make it in the present tense. Another great one: "A Dustland Fairytale". Short, sweet, dreamy and will always remind me of being young and free and able to dream big. The song A Dustland Fairytale has also impacted my life in huge ways so it seems somewhat fitting. Last idea for a quote tattoo is an Edie Sedgwick quote that just kills me it is so brilliant: "Turn the whole world on".I guess the real reason that I want something permanent is because I want to be able to carry things that have changed my life around with me...it's comforting and to me, a really distinct form of self expression.

Only problem is my legal guardians are irrevocably anti-tattoo. That messes things up a little but it wouldn't be the first time I completely ignored any parental advice. Why is breaking rules so much more fun than following them?

Ps - the pictures are of tattoos I like...and people I like

No comments:

Post a Comment